Akwaba, Friends!

Welcome to my my blog, where I'll keep a live journal from Accra, Ghana in West Africa. I'll be living in Accra for six weeks with a group of 12 students from the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication. We'll all share one large house and together, learn about the culture in which we'll be immersed. While there, I'll be completing two weeks of classes at the University of Ghana's East Legon campus. I'll spend all six weeks interning for Abantu for Development (http://www.abantu-rowa.org/). I don't really know what to expect, but I already know I can't wait to go back!

University of Ghana

University of Ghana
The East Legon campus where I'll take two weeks of classes in journalism

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Internship Update

Finally, I have a project at my internship.

Auntie Rose, the elusive boss who I hadn't met yet, called me into her office on Friday. She was dressed in a beautiful Kente cloth robe, and explained later that she'd be attending a wedding after work. Her dark skin was radiant- Ghanaians never age. She asked a bit about me, and what I was interested in. Before I knew it, her pen was flying across the paper, leaving illegible trails of blue words strung across their pristine white pages. Auntie Rose decided that, after hearing my interests, I'd be most useful in conducting a case study about the representations of women in the Ghanaian media. I set up an experiment of sorts and typed out a long description of my plan. I'll watch two TV stations, listen to two radio stations, and read five different newspapers daily in order to collect evidence related to my study. At the end of the study, I'll determine whether women are represented fairly and accurately given the political and social climate of Ghana. The study will be added to ABANTU's library and used for future advancement projects as needed. I think that I have a lot of work cut out for me, but the people at work are extremely supportive and the project seems to be very worthwhile. I look forward to sharing my findings!

No comments: